Wednesday, April 18, 2007

So here's the plan...

Been considering two things lately: whether Chris and I should stay in MI or whether we should move after I'm done with school and should I go to graduate school after my bachelors and if so what for and where?

So the consensus between Chris and I is that we both don't want to stay in Michigan for the long term. As I've stated before, I thought this would be a fresh start for me and it turned out not to be. Almost everything that could possibly go wrong for us since moving here has and we both associate our time here with not so pleasant memories which is not a good thing. Add to that that I don't see my friends I do have here and the only family I have here is my dad and my sister, there is really no good reason to stay here for the long term. Now we're pondering things like when should we move. I told Chris I don't want to move until I'm done with my Bachelor's which won't be until September of next year. Since I don't want to move in the winter the earliest we would be moving would be spring of 2009. Most likely the move will be to NY but then we have to sell this house, evaluate our financial situation afterwards and see what kind of living arrangement we can come up with after that. With the housing market in the tank getting rid of this house will not be easy.
Also I mentioned this idea in passing to my dad today (not moving to NY, but just not staying here long term) and it went over like a fart in church. I pointed out that I would have no one here except Shelly after he's gone but still I can tell he's not happy that we might be moving.

The other thing is if I'm going to continue my schooling after this. I want to but not in the Business field. I have been not so seriously researching graduate schools both here and in NY, MA, CT area (basically colleges within 2 hours of Chris' family) and I've found a few I like. I would like to get my master's in history and get into teaching and eventually teach college but on top of my bachelor's I will have to take at least 18 credits (6 classes) of history before most colleges I am looking at will consider me since my BA will not be in history and most of them also have a foreign language requirement. I'm thinking after I'm done with my Bachelor's I will take the required history classes and a few french classes at MCC so I will meet the requirements to get into Grad school. I think this would be best because I can afford MCC without financial aid. Lots to think about. I can't wait until next month's memorial day weekend trip to Chicago where the only thing I'l be thinking about is what tourist attraction to visit and what kind of food I'm in the mood for. I still have a ton of math homework but luckily this instructor is pretty lenient so hopefully I'll get everything I'm missing knocked out tomorrow and be back on track for the remaining 2 weeks. I don't like Trig. It's harder than I thought it would be but I love the geography class. Off to bed I go.

No comments: