Saturday, January 20, 2007

Regina George is a fugly slut!

I have seen the movie Mean Girls quite a few times and though I am no fan of Lindsay Lohan I did think the movie was good. My high school experience was not as extreme as that movie was but there were definitely the cliques including a group I would consider the plastics. Its probably the same in every high school. There are the haves and have nots. In high school I was part of what were considered the have nots. We were the smart people that many people picked on because they thought we were eccentric in some way or because they were jealous of the grades.

In comparison to some of the other people in this nerd herd that I hung out with, I was actually one of the less academically inclined, although this was entirely my fault. In that respect in high school I was my own worst enemy, especially in senior year when I became involved with a guy that was four years older than me and had a two year old child. Everything went to hell for that entire year and I actually didn't go to school for 1/2 of my senior year. My dad had to meet with the principal and dean of students to work out a deal where I could graduate on time. Freshman, sophomore and junior year of high school I actually did pretty well.

Anyway, for some reason that I can't exactly pinpoint I don't remember high school all that fondly. Maybe its just because when I look back on the whole experience it forces me to confront what a MORON I was for that last year. I know why the whole thing happened. It was because of the two year old child that the boyfriend had. This kid grew very attached to me and I to him as well and his mom was like my mom and just dumped him off. I think I thought I could save him from that and I got way too involved to the point where it hurt me with school. Thankfully when I joined the Army while I was away at basic training the boyfriend showed his true colors and I dumped him before I took off to Korea on my first duty assignment.

Some other not so great things from high school: People in the "plastics" crowd trying to convince substitute teachers that they were my boyfriend as justification for why they were trying to copy off of my paper. I had one guy that was part of this group that I had Phys Ed with that would hit me in the ass with just about every piece of sports equipment we encountered-hockey sticks, badminton raquets, whatever. I remember someone else once ganging up on me because I jokingly called one of my friends gay and the dude harassed me for a week about it. Never mind the fact that the guy I jokingly called gay came out to us about 6 months later and we're still friends.

Also I think another thing that made high school not so great was that I hadn't really "blossomed" yet. I wasn't one of the stuck up prissy people that would get up at 5 am just to make sure I had enough time to cake on my makeup and curl my hair before school. I was one of those that put on whatever was clean, brushed my hair and teeth, put on a little makeup and went on my merry way. I didn't wear the in clothes and I didn't have to have the latest this or that. I was called ugly by some people. Strangely enough I kind of morphed while I was over in Korea and I had this awesome body and the majority thought I was really pretty. I was more into the makeup and clothes stuff than some of my friends but I still wasn't as in to it as some girls in my class. There were also the crushes that I drooled over that never would have happened in a million years. There was one guy that I had a crush on during freshman year that was one grade ahead of me and at that time he was just a big doofus but by the time he reached senior year he was pretty popular and as I said since I was a have not-er it wasn't ever going to happen. There were a few that I liked that maybe could have happened but I was too chicken to take any chances in high school. I only dated four guys in those four years . One was the older one and the other three were from different schools.

Some good things I remember: My school had awesome teachers, especially the foreign language teachers. There was also one english teacher that everyone hated and I absolutely loved her class. My friends were (and still are) awesome. We were a unique group of people and although during that time I wanted to be part of the in crowd like I think everyone wishes at some point, I would not have traded my group of friends for the world. They were some of the most creative, intelligent people I have met in my life. I remember picking up Krista and either Keith of Kevin and we would go to Pomona park and play risk and sometimes get chinese. One of these trips was when Kevin was awarded the name "secret eggroll man".

Anyway, I started this whole post by talking about the "plastics" at my school. There were only a few that were actually mean to me personally. The phys ed guy for one, and there was one girl who would point out how in her opinion my clothes didn't match and try to humiliate me in front of her little friends. What irked me too was that they sucked ALL the fun out of events like homecoming and prom because it was a popularity contest every time and the nominations were from the same group of people. Most of the people on homecoming and prom court I didn't like, although the girl that was elected prom queen was alright. She was someone I had known since 1st grade. They just seemed like they were the type of people that just came in the room and sucked all the oxygen out because they thought it was rightfully theirs or something. I know people have had high school experiences that were MUCH MUCH worse than mine, like our friend Lisa who we adopted into our group and felt really bad for because she was teased unmercifully by just about everyone in her grade. I just wonder if every school has a group of "plastics". I wonder if they do how long in life it takes the plastics to realize they don't matter anymore after high school and how long it takes the people who wish the plastics would get hit by a bus to realize that things will be different after high school?

As for me I'm glad I rolled with the nerd herd in high school because some of us have done great things with our lives and some of the plastics are now townies with dead end jobs.

1 comment:

LyraFae said...

I'm certainly glad I got adopted into the nerd crowd when I moved there. And it was all thanks to a Star Trek book.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the nerds that run the world.