Tuesday, January 15, 2008

RANTEDY RANT RANT

Ok, so I think the whole idea of getting a new President within the next year and the ability to play a part in that is fan-freaking-tastic. What I don't like is how certain members of my family think they have the right to influence my vote and to keep on my ass when I tell them firmly and repeatedly that I will vote for whomever the hell I want to regardless of what they think because it is my decision based on my beliefs and since I was willing to fight and die to protect my rights, one of them being to vote and live in a free democratic society, I should be able to vote for the person of my choice without being harassed about it.
I should NOT have to repeatedly defend myself about not having made a set in stone decision about who I voted for in the primaries tonight and who I will vote for in November.
So here is what the issue boils down too. The member of my family that is badgering me to death does not want me to vote for Barack Obama. Mind you, I never committed to or said I was voting for him. I said I was considering it as an option. I consider myself fortunate to be a young person in this country who can see past the racial issues and decide whether someone would make a good President based on the merit (or lack therof) of their ideas. Unfortunately, there are some members of my family who have just not made it to that point and probably won't before they go to their graves. Today I was sent that stupid email circulating about how Sen. Obama is a radical muslim and we shouldn't vote for him because he will help to destroy the US from within. It is all a big load of malarky and can be debunked simply by logging onto www.snopes.com. This person made it a point to call my place of employment and insist I take time out of my workday to read that email. In response I found the correct info on the above mentioned website and mass emailed it to everyone on that list so that they could at least make an informed decision and not one based on the pack of lies in that email.
Ya know what the kicker is? I DID NOT vote for Barack Obama this evening. Please if anyone does read this do not ask me who I did vote for because I will not tell you. Its my business. I did not even tell my husband who I voted for. The whole thing is it just makes me extremely angry that someone thinks I should cast my vote based on their ideals and their biased opinions and not recognize that I have my own set of beliefs and my own ideas about what direction this country should head in and who would be the best person to get it there. I am not anyones puppet but a free thinking human being. Secondly, the whole thing makes me sad that race is still an issue here. I don't care if the person is purple with pink polka dots. If I think they would make a good president they will get my vote. All through my life if I had an issue with someone I have never attributed their actions to their race. If I don't like you, its not because you're black or hispanic or whatever. Its because your actions (NOT race) make me think that you are a colossal asshole. Anyway, come this November, I will vote my conscience and do what I think is right and NO ONE will intimidate me or harass me to the point where I change that. Thank you ladies and gentlemen and goodnight.

No comments: